This knitting pattern features two of my favorite things when it comes to knitting: Heart rib and wrist warmers!
I love the heart ribbing stitch pattern because it looks stunning, is fun to knit, and because the 3D effect makes it very squishy.
The advantages of wrist warmers are many…
- Wrist warmers are fast to knit, even with thin yarn.
- You only need a small amount of yarn to knit them, perfect for your pretty leftovers!
- They are comfy to wear. I wear them while writing blog posts and knitting as well as outside in spring and fall.
- Wrist warmers look cute paired with most outfits!
Heart rib wrist warmer knitting pattern:
- Yarn: About 30 grams of Fingering yarn, preferably wool. I used Adlibris Socki Fine in the color A049, light grey melange. It’s a woolen sock yarn with a small amount of nylon added for strength. It’s also machine washable which is nice.
- Needles: Double pointed needles or circular needles US 0 / 2 mm for the rib at the start and the end and US 3/ 3,25 mm for the heart rib pattern.
- Gauge: 4 repeats of the heart rib pattern should measure 2 inches / 5 cm when it’s unstretched.
- Stitch marker. A fancy one like one of these if you like, but a piece of scrap yarn will work just fine!
- Wool needle
k = knit
p = purl
sl loop wyib = slip the loop purlwise while holding the yarn at the back of your work.
Cast on: 55 stitches with needle US 0 / 2 mm and join in the round. Place a marker at the beginning of the round.
Make sure your cast on is stretchy enough, otherwise, the wrist warmer can’t stretch out when you pull it over your hand. I usually cast on over both needles to make sure there’s enough yarn in my cast on.
Round 1–15: *p2, k3*, repeat *–* until the end of the round.
Round 16: *p2, pull up a loop through the middle knit stitch 4 rows down, k3, pull up another loop through the same stitch*, repeat *–* until the end of the round.
Round 17: *p2, sl loop wyib, k3, sl loop wyib*, repeat *–* until the end of the round.
Round 18: *p2, sl loop wyib, k1, pass the loop over the knit stitch, k1, knit the loop together with the next stitch*, repeat *–* until the end of the round.
Round 19: *p2, k3*, repeat *–* until the end of the round.
Repeat rounds 16–19 eight times.
Round 20–30: *p2, k3*, repeat *–* until the end of the round.
Bind off loosely in pattern, cut the yarn and weave in the ends and make one more.
Need some help?
Take a look at these articles and videos if you need more help with some of the steps in this pattern.
– How to cast on with circular needles
– Knitting Heart ribbing in the round + video tutorial
– Basic bind off and binding off in pattern
More free patterns:
––> Beginner friendly knit pattern: Easy ribbed wrist warmers
––> Knit Pattern + video tutorial: Easy ribbed beanie
––> Knit pattern: Barbie socks